Over time, village communities have built throughout the country numerous monuments to accommodate the spiritual needs of the inhabitants. Amongst them, a special place is occupied by crosses and triptychs. The latter were placed on the outskirts of villages, at crossroads, on the borders, near wells and springs, in cemeteries or to commemorate a place where some people lost their lives.
The National Village Museum exhibits two triptychs: one from Răşinari (Sibiu) and the other one from Feţeni (Vâlcea). The Răşinari (Sibiu) triptych is brick-made, with four thick pillars that support a hipped roof covered with tiles. The front sides are painted with frescoes all around. The monument was rebuilt in the Museum in 1936, following an example built in situ by the congregation of the village dating back to the middle of the 19th century. The triptych is typical for the villages found on the outskirts of Sibiu. The fresco paintings reveal medallions of saints framed in geometrical motifs that made by talented peasant craftsmen.