Vrancea Country, or „the second Moldavian republic”, the name given by Dimitrie Cantemir in „Descriptio Moldavie” (1769), due to the way the community was organized and the privileges granted to this land over the years, still holds a particular interest on account of its remarkable ethno-folkloric heritage.
Năruja Village is a settlement spread out along the river. The main occupations that engaged its inhabitants were sheep herding and lumberjacking. This particular house from the XIXth century was brought on Museum premises in 1957 and is constructed using fir tree logs glued with white clay. The house is erected on a basement, it features an asymetric porch on which the weaving loom or a bed were set up during summertime. The house plan – archaic in style – consists of a narrow entrance hall used as a tool shed for domestic items and a single room with multiple functions.
The archaic nature of the construction is evident due to the placement of the entrance hall next next to the living room, as well as due to the central placement of the heating system with a low and open hearth, complete with chimney and oven, unaffixed to any wall. Plates, pots, dishes and domestic items are grouped around the hearth, benches and a bed with the chest are arranged along three sides of the room. The high table, a low table and three-legged chairs complete the furnishings.
Woolen bedclothes with simple or striped colors cover the bed and are also stacked on top of the chest. The benches are covered with colored tapestries featuring geometric and floral decorative motifs. Additional cotton fabrics such as towels or napkins are exhibited along the walls hung in successive strips, alternative to other tapestries.
The house is host to beautifully pyrographed wooden pots, chees curd patterns with geometric and anthropomorphic motifs, traditional folk costume pieces to illustrate the artistry and techniques of local creators, also to please the eye.