20 November 2016

SÂRBOVA, Timiș County, 1821

The household from Sârbova is representative to the plain area of Banat, positioned along the river Timiș. It dates to the turn of the XIXth century, it was rebuilt on the Village Museum site in the year 1936.

First records of the Sârbova village date back to the XVth century, also a document statement on an old Church book marks an evidence to the year 1754 when the village was „set in order”.

Economically, the residents practiced agriculture as a principal occupation, coupled with cattle and sheep breeding, also viniculture. The occupations are evident considering the lay out structure of the household: a house, the stable (Romanian: „stălog”) with a shed and a tool shack, a hay barn (Romanian: „clet”), the pigpen and the granary.

The constructions are laid in an enclosed rectangular shape, within a masonry fence with timber gates decorated with the Dragon, a mythical motif. Typical to the region, the house plan is a classic middle hallway with two-rooms building with a veranda across the frontside supported by pillars. The house is bricklayed on a rock foundation with the narrow wall towards the street, sheltered under a gable rooftop covered with shingles. As predominantly encountered in the geographical area, the frontispiece of the house is decorated with plastered geometric elements to frame the name of the owner and the year of construction.

Considered a „clean room”: the „big fireplace” room, situated towards the street, as well as the living room: „the small fireplace” room, both reunite varius furniture pieces (beds, chairs, tall tables, benches with backrest), also display a fabulous selection of lively colored (predominantly red) woolen textiles – blankets (Romanian: „ponievi”) and rugs (Romanian: „cilimuri”), and cotton – towels, tablespreads, pillowcases, drapes with geometric patterns on white background.

In the vestibule (Romanian: „cunie”) the room features an archaic, yet ingenious system for cooking food: the open fireplace with a large smoke evacuation chimney that simultaneously heats the other two adjoining stoves which heat up the living quarters.