20 November 2016

Afumaţi, Ilfov

Household, 1/4 19th century
The household was donated to the Village Museum in the year 2011 by the Dobriţoiu family from Afumaţi, a commune from the plain of Vlăsia, 15 km away from Bucharest. The main occupations for the commune inhabitants were agriculture and animal husbandry. The vicinity of the Capital and the increase of the urbanization process in its neighboring areas created also the opportunity of a developed commercial activity. The household, built in the twenties (and renovated in 1939, according to the inscription made in plaster bas-relief on the left side of the main house entrance) is comprised of a house, a stable for water buffalos, a maize barn and a summer kitchen. The construction technique is specific to the plain and plateau areas, with walls made of wattle and daub on acacia or oak forks. All the roof coverings were initially made of tiles, but consequently the house was modernized with a tin roof covering. The plan of the house follows the specific of the Danube Plain, developing on horizontal and including the entrance hall – for access to the dwelling, the clean room (towards the road), the living room and the kitchen. The neighboring of Bucharest also led to the transformation of the interior organization, the few furniture items found while transferring being dated in the second half of the 20th century.