20 November 2016

Budieni, Gorj

House, 1882
The house, known as the Beuran House, was built during the 19th century, in 1882, as one can see in the inscription carved on a wall beam on the back of the house. It belonged to priest Beuran, a family which for many generations gave the priests from the village of Budieni. The villagers always practiced the agriculture, the pomiculture, the viticulture, and woodworking. The Beuran house is a two stories building, comprising the ground floor with three basements, built on bases (“bâlvani” – large beams, or “urşi” – bears), and having wall sills. The upper floor has three “hodăi” – rooms, placed in L. The house is built of massive oak pieces, carved with the hatchet on four sides and connected at the ends by corner right joints. The ground floor open stoop spans the length of the main frontage. The stoop of the inhabitable floor, closed, surrounds the house on three sides. These two half-opened spaces are sustained by carved posts, decorated with fretted motifs: “mirrors”, wolf tooth and jagged line. The beam and girder ends are decorated with horse heads and ornamented with geometric motifs made of combinations of jagged lines. The rafters, carved on four sides from oak wood, end in stylized horse heads, resuming the ornaments on the girders and beams from the ground floor. The ceiling beams, having ornaments on all their length, end in carved horse heads. The first floor stoop has a bench on the main facade, protected on three sides by a fretted parapet. The villagers remember that on its left side of the stoop, the house had a privy. The ground floor ceiling is made of massive oak beams, and the first floor ceiling is made of hornbeam rods over which the clay was pasted, in order to thermally isolate the first floor. The inhabitable floor is plastered with clay on both the inside and outside, attached to the walls through nailed hazel rods and whitewashed. A stair on the road side of the house allows the access to the first floor. The squared hip roof has steep slopes and a fir shingle nailed on two rows. The windows are protected with iron bars (“cebuce”). Except for the basement doors, that are each made of one massive oak plank, and for the door between the living room and the guest room, the current doors are not the original ones, these being made in a city workshop at the beginning of the 20th century.

hit
counter