20 November 2016

Soveja, Vrancea

Household, 1927
The house, transferred in the museum in 1999, belonged to a wealthy family from Soveja, being a construction strongly influenced by the urban architecture, thus marking a passage from the rural to the urban. Built in 1927, the house is raised on a cut stone foundation, having the walls made of hard wood, plastered and whitewashed. The hip roof has a covering made of softwood. In plan, the house consists of a hallway, the parlor, two rooms, pantry, a closed stoop with seven pillars on the main facade, a kitchen and a two-side stoop on the back. The dwelling also has a vaulted ceiling cellar. The interior of the house is arranged with urban type furniture, mainly colored in the same nuance as the house interior timber work, a light grey-blue, and with household objects. The walls of the two front rooms are highlighted due to the fact that they are, according to the local tradition, “dressed” in beautiful weavings, placed on three superposed areas. The main occupations of the inhabitants always were animal husbandry, logging and wood working (they are known masters of fretted decorations and shingle making), and as secondary occupations, the pomiculture and gardening. Together with other objectives of the South Area, the house from Soveja is the proof of generations of hard-working and smart peasants who earned their place in the Romanian civilization, with all the tradition treasure inherited from the elders.