20 November 2016

Moşteni-Greci, Argeş

Cellar with larder, 19th century
The cellar with larder from Moşteni-Greci, named also “cellar with hall”, represents a household annex built outside the village precincts, used to store the fruits and the plum brandy, and to shelter the tools. Although it was used as “hill house”, around 1860 this construction was moved from the original place of the family. The small sized building, following an almost square plan, has two floors: the cellar and the larder with stoop. The cellar walls, built on a cut river stone base, are made of dressed river stone and manual bricks, in a special technique called “small case masonry”, bound with plaster made of lime and sand. The larder, placed over the cellar, is made of oak beams carved with the hatchet, joined in Romanian technique, with the ends of the sill plates largely extending beyond the joint. The wood walls are filled with “snails” (wooden nails). A plank ramp with stairs made of split logs is used to access the higher floor. The closed stoop in front of the larder is guarded by a parapet with three pillars carved with geometric forms, decorated on the upper side with the cornered star motif, named “crested cross” in the area. The fir squared hip roof has a covering made of shingles laid in the technique called “groove and tongue”.