20 November 2016

Saschiz, Mureş

House, 1762
The house comes from Saschiz, located in the Târnavelor Plateau, a village colonized by the Transylvanian Saxons in the early 13th century. Saschiz (German Keisd) is the Hungarian name Szasz Kezd (Saxon Kezd), the village being colonized by Saxons during 1200-1224, simultaneously with Sighişoara area. The Romanians in Saschiz practiced the shepherding, raising numerous herds of swine and cattle, but also the agriculture. Afterwards, they took over from the Saxons the handicrafts of furrier’s trade, pottery, coopering and blacksmithing. The Romanian custom of giving their children to serve under Saxons in order to learn handicrafts was preserved until after the Second World War. The architecture is of Saxon influence, the houses being usually placed with the narrow gable facing the road. The house gables are triangular, raised up to the ridge of the roof reduced to two slopes. The households are closed with walls and massive gates. The house transferred in the museum was raised in 1762 in a place called “Romanians”. Built of massive oak beams of impressive size, rudimentary carved with the hatchet, joined in the Blockbau system, the house has two rooms: the entrance hall and the living room. Under the latter, the yore master successfully combines two materials for the basement: stone alternated with rows of bricks. The basement access is from the road side and, in the cold season, through a lid fixed in the floor of the living room. The loft is also accessed through a lid, this time on the entrance hall ceiling. The steep ridged roof has a scaly tile roof covering. The household is completed by the bread oven, built of bricks and sheltered by a shed, and the brick fence covered with tile and having a large wood gate.

hit
counter