ROMOŞEL COMPLEX

Press for oil and must, Romoşel, Hunedoara county, YEAR 1922

The press entered the museum patrimony in 2002. In the village it was used to produce edible oil extracted from seeds (pumpkin, walnuts, beech nuts, hemp), as well as apple and grape must.
The oilseeds are placed in the circular trough in the vicinity of the press, and are crushed by rolling the stone wheel, pushed by man or pulled by a horse. The resulted product is sieved, the husks are removed, and the remaining seed flour is mixed with water and kneaded until a paste is formed, that is fried on a stove. From the fried (until brittle) paste a patty is made that is wrapped in felt and put in a perforated iron cylinder placed inside the press. The cylinder content is compressed by a wood piston pushed by the massive beam (fork) having a nut in which the wood screw (with a weight on its lower side to increase the pressing force) is gradually inserted. From one patty up to 1-1.5 l of oil can be obtained.
The installation had double use, also for the apple must which, through fermentation, turned into vinegar. The apples were put in the trough and crushed with the stone wheel, and then transferred to the press, in a basket made of vertical and horizontal staves, where the same method as for oil was used. This method was also used for pressing the grapes, after they were macerated for several days in a wooden vat.

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Get the latest news, exclusive offers and museum updates.

VIRTUAL TOUR OF THE VILLAGE MUSEUM

Presentation of the Village Museum