Neag's field, Hunedoara, 1800

Originating from Retezat Mountains base, at the western end of the Petroșani Depression, Cărpineanu Nistor's household from Câmpu lui Neag was transferred in the Village Museum in 1957, being representative for the “household with fortified courtyard” type from the beginning of the 19th century. This archaic dwelling type is specific for the predominant pastoral living, being adequate to protect the sheep flock against the wild animals.
The household appears as a small wood fortress, isolated and protected. The house and the annex buildings (the storeroom for clothes and tools, the pantry, the stable with pigsty and the fortified courtyard with sheds) are arranged in a rectangle facing the yard, under a continuous roof. The house is built on a stone foundation, with the walls made of round fir beams and the hipped roof with shingle covering.
The house plan is a simple one, made of veranda, living room and guest room. In the first one, one can see the hearth with suspended chimney, next to which several kinds of vessels are set, used for preparing and storing dairy. The furniture is simple, worked by the local masters (a bed, a bench with backrest, settles, dish cabinets, etc.). In the second room, without heating system, one can note the rods with beautifully decorated fringed aprons, the shepherd's cudgels made of Cornelian cherry wood finely carved, and the distaffs with “wings”.
The home textiles (hemp bed sheets, wool blankets, kerchiefs, icon towels) invigorate the interior living frame. One can also note the traps for rabbits and foxes.

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Get the latest news, exclusive offers and museum updates.


Presentation of the Village Museum