Mastacăn, County German, sec. the nineteenth
Mastacăn household, built at the beginning of the 19th century and transferred in the museum in 1957, comes from a scattered village, found on Bistrița Valley. Along the house, it includes an oven for drying and smoking fruits (“lozniţă”), a grindstone for sharpening various objects and a pigsty.
The charm of the house owned by Ion Achirițoaie is given by its volume dimensions and proportions: short clayed walls built from fir beams with round joints, small windows, a low open veranda that surrounds it on three sides, a gradual sloped roof and a covering made of long shingles. The house has two rooms: a foyer and a living room. The polychromy of the interior results from the large set of fabrics (towels, wall carpets, and strip bench carpets) and wearing apparel that adorn the clothes rod placed above the bed (richly decorated straight aprons, waistcoats and a shirt). They are harmoniously associated with the furniture items (painted dowry chests, chairs, dish shelves, coat pegs), decorated with unsurpassed refinement.
The main occupations of the inhabitants of the area (sheep breeding, fruit-growing, forest working and log rafting on Bistrița River) are mirrored by the household inventory, in which one can find a “bărbânța” (wooden lag pail for dairy products), a milking bucket, a milk spoon, a mesh for curd, a hatchet, an axe and a cant hook.
The eye is caught also by the large drum made of ox hide with small metallic discs all around, similar to a tambourine.