Cellar with pantry, Moşteni-Greci, Argeş 19TH CENTURY
The cellar with larder from Moșteni-Greci, named also “cellar with hall”, represents a household annex built outside the village precincts, used to store fruits and plum brandy, and to shelter the tools.
Although it served as a “hill house”, it was moved around 1860 from the family's original location.
The construction has two floors: the cellar and the larder with stoop.
The cellar walls, built on a cut river stone base, are made of dressed river stone and hand-worked bricks, in a special technique called “small case masonry”, bound with plaster made of lime and sand.
The larder, placed over the cellar, is made of oak beams carved with the hatchet, joined in Romanian technique, with the ends of the sill plates largely extending beyond the joint. The wood walls are filled with “snails” (wooden nails). A plank ramp with stairs made of split logs is used to access the upper floor. The closed stoop in front of the larder is guarded by a parapet with three pillars carved with geometric forms, decorated on the upper side with the cornered star motif, named “crested cross” in the area. The fir squared hip roof has a covering made of shingles laid in the technique called “groove and tongue”.