Sârbova, Timis county, 1821
The household in the village of Sârbova, representative of the plain area of Banat, is located along the Timiş river valley. It dates from the beginning of the 19th century and was rebuilt in the museum in 1936.
The village is documented since the 15th century, and a handwritten note on an old book used in the church shows that: "in 1754, the village was lined up".
From an economic point of view, the inhabitants especially practiced agriculture as the main occupation associated with raising cattle and sheep, but also viticulture. The occupations are reflected in the structure of the household, which includes the house and the stable ("stalog") with a shed and storeroom, completed with the corn bed ("cletul"), the kitchen and the dovecote.
The buildings are arranged in the form of a quadrangle closed to the street with a masonry fence, provided with wooden gates decorated with mythical motifs (the dragon). From a typological point of view, the house belongs to the category of houses with two rooms and a median roof, having an open window on pillars along the facade. The house is built on a stone foundation with the narrow wall facing the street, being built of brick, under a hipped roof with tile covering. Specific to the area is the pediment decorated with geometric elements in relief, made of plaster that frame the name of the owner and the year of construction.
Both the clean room: the "large stove", located facing the street, and the living room: the "small stove", each bring together various pieces of furniture (beds, chairs, high tables, benches with backs) as well as a rich range of fabrics from wool - "ponies" and "kilimuri" with a vivid color, in which red predominates - and cotton - wipes, tablecloths, pillowcases, curtains with a rich geometric decoration arranged in compact surfaces on a white background.
In the tent ("cunie"), a multifunctional room (passage, food preparation and for carrying out some lucrative activities) there is an ingenious and archaic food preparation system: the free hearth provided with an imposing smoke exhaust chimney and which it also serves to feed the two blind stoves that heat the living rooms.