wine press Teaca, Bistrița-Năsăud, year 1793
The wine press was transferred to the museum in 1980 from the village of Teaca, a locality with a mixed population: Romanians, Saxons, Hungarians. The occupations of the inhabitants of the area were agriculture, animal husbandry and viticulture.
The installation is part of the group of screw presses, being erected in 1793 by Michel Donat, according to the inscription on the bifurcated oak beam. In the village, the wine press was located in the yard of a household and was used by several families.
The wine press works as follows: the main beam (the fork) was raised as high as possible, with the help of the wild pear screw, manually driven with an iron lever. On the support (bridge) made of four joined beams the basket made of staves or wattles was placed, filled with grapes. Over the grapes a thick plank lid was placed, on which the oak piston was pushed by the massive beam lowered with the help of the screw.